I think that I can say, without hesitation, that the tenth installment of the Final Fantasy series is by far my favorite FF, as well as my favorite game of all time. I have started the game from scratch at least three times, if not more, and have spent well over a 100 hours playing this game alone.
Now, one may ask why this is my favorite game. I say this because I have encountered too many people who really disliked this particular Final Fantasy. This may be because X was a really big jump, and had many changes, from the previous games. Or possibly for various other reasons, I’ve heard of some who simply don’t like the characters, storyline, whatever. To each his own.
Anyway, here are the reasons why I adore Final Fantasy X:
- At the time of its release, FFX had graphics that blew your mind. The design seemed very streamlined, and overall it was a huge jump from the previous games. Even now, I find myself impressed by the CGI cut scenes.(Photo courtesy of Dorkly, http://www.dorkly.com/comic/54193/graphics-through-the-ages )
- While this is something others likely won’t experience, a huge reason why this games stands out so strongly to me, is that it was my first Final Fantasy game, other than Tactics, which is a completely different kind of game. Being my first, this is the installment that got me into the series in the first place. If it weren’t for this game, I may never have played any of the Final Fantasies, nor found myself loving RPGs as much as I would.
- The Hymn of the Fayth. As a whole, the FFX album doesn’t necessarily impress me any more than other Final Fantasies. The Hymm, however, quickly became one of my favorite things to listen to. I loved the variations on the theme as you progressed through the game, and I loved the solemnity of the theme, and how it always gave me chills when I listened to it. That being said, I guess I should point out that To Zanarkand is also one of my all time favorite songs, which I use to lull myself to sleep each night. Suteki Da Ne is another big favorite.
- Mini-games. Blitzball. Blitzball is both the most irritating and most satisfying mini-game I have played in a Final Fantasy game. While the first game, which is required to play in the storyline, is hugely frustrating, subsequent games which you may or may not choose to play can become hugely gratifying in the long run. The satisfaction of making the Besaid Aurochs the best team in the league, and laughing maniacally each time I beat the Luca Goers, has been the reason I most recently have spent so much time on Blitzball.
- The battle system. I absolutely love this particular battle system, much more than any Final Fantasy Game I have yet to encounter. Not dealing with the ATB gauge and having the opportunity to strategize as I played out a battle meant a lot to me. This may be due to my love for the SRPG FF Tactics, which was a game I had played much of before this one, and learned that slowly making your choices was the best , and only, strategy. Adjusting to the various other battle systems has never been particularly enjoyable for me.
- The characters. Auron. While I care for nearly every “main” character of FFX for one reason or another, Auron holds a special place in my heart. He is by far my favorite character in this game, for various reasons, but the main reason being how downright cool he is.
So, those are my top reasons for why I love this game. Do you have any deeply ingrained emotions towards this installment? Is there a different Final Fantasy that you love like I do this one? Feel free to comment and let me know what you think.